Copyright © 2024, Philip Robinson. All rights reserved. This work may not be reproduced, in whole or in part without prior permission of the creator

Tuesday 2 January 2024

Late Finish

Despite my misgivings I managed to finish this unit of dismounted Paraguayan cavalry for the War of the Triple Alliance before the year end. An eight figure small unit in Black Powder terms mounted on two 50x50mm bases from Warbases.

Over the year I painted 343 figures, 39 vehicles and 27 pieces of terrain. Here in OHQ I played sixteen recorded games, I am not sure how many I played over at GHQ, on the show front I visited WMMS, both Partizans and Colours. A satisfying year on the hobby front I thought.
Yesterday I popped over to Dave's for the first game of the year where I managed to scrape a win, be sure to pop across to Takes From GHQ for a fine report of how the game played out.
Until next time I wish you all a Happy New Year and as ever KBO.

12 comments:

  1. Nicely done Phil ….cavalry without horses are at least quicker to paint. Regardless of the numbers it sounds like a good hobby year 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Matt. I don't mind painting horses but it does add to the time to complete a unit.

      Delete
  2. A good year for you, of that I'm confident, perhaps other than in wins! Mind, you got off to a good start yesterday here in GHQ. The Patagonian foot cavalry look really good too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dave, my painting progress will no doubt continue in a similar vein but don't have any hopes on the wins being likewise 😉

      Delete
  3. Well, I think that may be your nicest unit of the year - high praise, as everything is so lovely. Excellent painting numbers there. Best Wishes for the New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Norm that is most kind. A Happy New Year to you too.

      Delete
  4. A lovely colourful little unit to start the new year off Phil.
    I look forward to seeing many more…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Aly, I shall endeavour to oblige on the many more front.

      Delete
  5. Handsome figures, Phil. Why the misgivings? 2023 was a very good year for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jonathan. Dave can attest that I usually down brushes at the beginning of December until the New Year this year was a surprising exception.

      Delete
  6. I do love the red effect you have managed Phil, very striking. If I bump into you and your carer at the shows I will pick your brains if I may re the effect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Roddy. I am the carer, don't tell Dave😁 For these I used a base coat of Contrast Blood Angels red followed by Vallejo Scarlet then Orange Red highlight and Blood Angels Red followed by Vallejo Amaranth and Amaranth mixed with Vallejo Dark flesh to highlight. I also use Vallejo Cavalry Brown for the bases coat. All the figures are primed with Halfords grey primer.

    ReplyDelete