Copyright © 2024, Philip Robinson. All rights reserved. This work may not be reproduced, in whole or in part without prior permission of the creator

Monday 29 July 2019

Volar en Solitario

No game with Dave this week and a day to wrestle back the garden from nature, how can it take over like this in just one week? I decided between bouts to give Chain of Command Espana a run out now that I have enough figures painted to do platoons of one troop type.
I randomly chose the support choices for each side and the plan of attack, both turned out to be almost identical, oh well I can’t be accused of favouritism.
Below is the table set up, Nationalist jump off points in blue, Republicans in red.
Both sides attempted to get around each others flanks while holding the centre with there vehicles, the Nationalists a Bilbao armoured car and the Republicans an armoured truck. With both sides being evenly matched a game of cat and mouse ensued with neither side being able to gain any advantage, although the Nationalists were losing more men early on they held their ground and began to even things up.
With dinner being almost ready I called an halt to proceedings, the Nationalist force morale was down to 6 from a start of 8 and the Republicans down to 7 from a start of 11 though. Had I continued I think the Nationalists may well have carried the day, but as it stood I called it a honourable draw. The usual photo montage follows







An entertaining  game but I think I prefer the randomness of Bolt Action for the Spanish Civil War, I think command and control in Chain of Command is a little to structured, whilst fine for World War Two it doesn't meet my perception of combat in the Spanish Civil War. Next game with Dave I may play the scenario out with Bolt Action for a comparison.

Hasta la Vista 



14 comments:

  1. Nice to see Phil...I still haven’t managed to try CoC, it is so hard to change rules when you are used to a set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don’t waste your time, dreadful rules like all the TFL stable.

      Delete
    2. If they suit, stick with it. I just like playing the field.

      Delete
  2. Lovely looking game, I'm with Matt, I find it tricky trying to play games for the same period with different rules,of course I do it , the continual wargamers search for our holy grail!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stick with what works for you and enjoy the hobby.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Iain. I believe that the trail is unobtainable as far as the Spanish Civil war goes.

      Delete
  3. Nice layout and lovely figures Phil.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A solo game? Makes me feel sad, almost....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You stand a better chance of winning...
      But of course... you also lose.

      I think you got the best result ;-)

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
    2. Thought it best to quit while I was ahead :~)

      Delete
  5. Looks like a fun game. I‘m always thinking about trying CoC solo but haven‘t managed yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With no time limit its a good way to digest the rules.

      Delete