Copyright © 2024, Philip Robinson. All rights reserved. This work may not be reproduced, in whole or in part without prior permission of the creator

Sunday 1 November 2020

In With The New

 I have finally retired my old 2x4 boards, they were becoming a tad frayed around the edges and to be honest being 12mm MDF were becoming a bit of a ball ache carrying them downstairs. I have been using my new boards, two 4x3 and one 4x2, (these being 9mm and surprisingly lighter) recently covered with either my own dyed decorators cloth or my Deep Cut Studios gridded one for To The Strongest.

I investigated covering them in towelling like my old ones, but with the cost of the material, glue and spray paint coming to £75 at least, not factoring in the cost of time, I decided to look for a mat from one of the many suppliers, I was quite taken with the fleece ones produced by Geek Villain I had seen used on YouTube, this was during the first lockdown and they were not available. Other things since occupied my mind until I saw a Tabletop CP video on YouTube, they were playing a Bolt Action game set in Sicily and were using  a GeekVillain mat of the same name, I really liked the look of it especially as many of my games and new project (the campaign in Sicily ) are set in the Med it was ideal. I duly placed an order, I must say how pleased I was with the turnaround, ordered on a Tuesday evening and despatched the next day, arriving on the Friday. Impressed with the quality too, it is also a little bigger than 6x4, ideal when placing hills underneath.


I was also looking at getting some roads, again material, paint and time being a factor I looked for some commercially made ones and remembered that the ones available from Fat Frank on EBay receive good reviews. Subsequently an order was placed, again a good turnaround and quality product, I have since ordered more for a bit of variety on the table.

With local lockdowns and now the national one any face to face games with Dave this year are now out of the window I fear so I plan a solo outing for the new mat and roads this week all being well.

Keep safe folks.


TTFN

 

14 comments:

  1. Phil, very interesting, I am interested in the cloth and pleased to see a hands on recommendation. I think fleece has the added benefits of not being prone to creasing .... though the website says it fits through the letter box! so I am guessing it arrives very compact, was than an issue?

    The Fat Frank roads are very good, there is great consistency in the product, I have placed some orders months apart and the later arrivals always exactly match the earlier ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It arrived in a delivery bag that say a jumper would arrive in and folded it nicely, there is a slight ridge but I am sure it will drop out naturally. Good to hear that the roads are consistent from FF.

      Delete
  2. Looking forward to seeing the mat in action and will be in touch for a game 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully in the next couple of days a Spanish Civil War set to I think.
      I look forward to hearing from you in due course🙂

      Delete
  3. I am out of the window? Boogar! I shall enjoy the solo game and seeing the new mat and roads that way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Call me a cynic but I will be very surprised if the lockdown isn't extended or localised restrictions not put in place. Hope to be proved wrong though.

      Delete
  4. Would like to see your new boards, etc when it's all ready :o)
    Like you I think the 4 weeks will be extended :o(
    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hoping to play tomorrow, a Spanish Civil War game using Chain of Command.

      Delete
    2. CoC? Wash out your mouth, now! The 'dice gods' have got your number now!

      Delete
    3. You can't beat a bit of CoC🙂

      Delete
  5. Phil, glad you posted about this mat, mine has just arrived and I am absolutely delighted. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a look at the mats Phil...
    Just ordered the same one as you have... to use for my 3rd Century Roman/Sassanid games...

    I hope you are on a commission...

    Those roads look pretty useful as well...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both were money well spent, as I mentioned material and the cost in time, couldn't do it cheaper.

      Delete