Copyright © 2024, Philip Robinson. All rights reserved. This work may not be reproduced, in whole or in part without prior permission of the creator

Monday 19 August 2024

Last Of The Goths?

Well the last warband anyway, I have a light cavalry unit underway and then another heavy cavalry unit which will "complete" the project. Though wait...... I have two Frank units for when the Goths morph into Ostrogoths to fight the Byzantines🙂
The figures are mainly Footsore Miniatures with a few Foundry Casting Room and a solitary Westwind Miniatures figure. Base from Warbases as usual and shield transfers where applicable from LBMS.
Before we go, Dave kindly passed on one of Matthew's Vikings, meet Olaf Nonumbersson.
I think you will agree it is a superb sculpt, really love the flow of the cloak and subtle look of movement in the figure.
Off to GHQ again tomorrow I will be taking along my First Carlist War collection for a run out on a bigger table. Dave's grandson Will be aiding and rolling dice for me again so hopefully I will end the run of two consecutive defeats🙂
Until next time ..........
Toodle pip and KBO

16 comments:

  1. Last? What strange concept is that? Thankfully you have Goths & Franks aplenty! Beautifully painted warband, but a special mention for Olaf. Beautiful sculpt as you say, but wonderfully painted too! As to tomorrow, well 6's may lead to Blunders, just saying...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A mystery word indeed on a par with 'enough' perhaps? Pleased you like my take on old Olaf. Blunders I know them well ask the Rhodian slingers😂

      Delete
  2. A superb unit of Goths there Phil, beautifully painted as ever! the casualty is a nice touch.
    The Viking figure is outstanding! A wonderful job there to show the potential of Matt's fine sculpts. I love the detail on the reverse side of the shield....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Paul most kind. Matt's Viking was a joy to paint nice precise detail.

      Delete
  3. Stunning brushwork, Phil! Seeing the “Last” of any project may be often considered but something rarely seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jonathan much appreciated. Last? I think the words 'for the time being' are left unsaid or written in invisible ink😊

      Delete
  4. Lovely work Phil, I seem to struggle with shield transfers but my shields are often older versions/secondhand so less flat. Olaf is splendid too, if I were in the hunt for more Vikings they would be a must but not at the moment I have enough

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Matt. The trick with curved shields is to score the paper backing into six segments before apply to the shield. Enough? see my above reply to Mr. B.😉

      Delete
  5. That Goth warband is particularly well based up - when they're coming at you (like in the first photo) it looks like something Lady Butler might've painted if she'd been into Dark Age battles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely looking Goth unit, great sense of a horde of barbarians attacking, I like the addition of the casualty figure too, works really well. The Viking is a real beauty, cracking figure and really well painted, very nice indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the glowing endorsement of my efforts.

      Delete
  7. Last.....until you realize a couple more couldn't hurt. As ever lovely looking Goths and that Viking is superb!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christopher. More? Well never say never🙂

      Delete