Copyright © 2024, Philip Robinson. All rights reserved. This work may not be reproduced, in whole or in part without prior permission of the creator

Thursday 16 August 2018

A Not So Black Day

As mentioned in my previous post Dave came over for a Great War game using Bolt Action rules. The Germans are in retreat a small rear guard is left behind to delay the Allied advance, they must hold Tommy at bay for six turns, maybe seven, in game terms this will be a draw, if however they manage to drive the advance back it will be a victory.
To off set some of the casualties the British could expect I decided to use the spotting rule from Battlegroup rules, this would allow for early morning mist and the British making use of the many shell craters as cover.
 The German Line.

The British Advance.

Slightly Shaken By The British Bombardment The Germans Await The Attack.

The Atmospheric Shot.

The British Pick Their Way Through No Mans Land, Although The Bombardment Had Been Effective In Cutting Wire It Was Not The Case In A Critical Area, This Would Eventually Lead To The British Attempt To Turn The German Flank And Win The Game Fail. 

The Tank Breaks Through, To Little, To Late To Effect A British Victory
A finely balanced game, tipped in the Germans favour by the wire being uncut in the worse place for the British, one of wargames hilarious moments as the sections either side were destroyed, meaning that the British had to negotiate through boggy ground to achieve their aims with little time remaining for such a delay, c'est la guerre.

I have found Mark Pipers Rapid Fire 1918 amendments online so will be giving them a try next outing.

TTFN

23 comments:

  1. Lovely looking game, too many other projects to try WW1 but nice to see it working at this scale 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt, certainly a period that is a challenge to game but a very interesting one.

      Delete
  2. Lovely looking game,I like the atmospheric shot!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Iain. I like to add the odd B&W pic, a bit of nostalgia.

      Delete
  3. Very nice as ever. The RF amendments are very good (15mm 1918) and we have used them with a few tweaks up to the SCW. I know there was the Rompun al Fuego version for Spain but I am unable to locate it these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Graham. I have a copy of RaF, got it from RH Models but it has shown as out of stock for quite a while now.

      Delete
  4. Looks like a great game Phil! Reminds me of my own WW1 project...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Nick. You will have to resurrect yours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reminds me that I need to get my stalled WWI project moving again. It’s a fascinating period, I don’t think anyone can really understand WWII without understanding what happened in WWI. The development of tactics between 1914-18 is such a rich vein for a military historian to mine I’m always at a loss for words when I hear people say the period doesn’t interest them. Too many people fall for the all-pervading mud, blood and futility myths and look no further. Their loss.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Indeed it is, and more worthy than the glut of glib comments it gets on most forums.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The dice gods did not love me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Splendid sir...
    That looks quite a challenge for the British.

    All the best Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Aly. It was a close run thing, intact barbed wire buying time for the Germans.

      Delete
  10. Phil, that looks splendid! Interested in the idea of BA for WW1 as I have large British force for 1918. Do you have any info as rosters, stats, etc?
    Thanks
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Matt. I got most of the info here, also check out the mega game scenarios for additional rules.

    http://gajominis.com/rules/rulesgajo.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS. I have made a couple of sheets with weapon details and extra rules, drop me an email and I will send you a copy.

      Delete
  12. Looks spiffing Phil. Especially like the "atmospheric shot".

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you Jon. Another post that has got through too, Blogger is starting to like you🙂

    ReplyDelete